Active Acne and Acne Scar Treatments
Has acne ever impacted your confidence or made you feel self-conscious? Acne can be quite persistent throughout any life stage, can be triggered by genetics or hereditary factors, hormones, and poor skin practices.
In some cases it can be quite severe – appearing not just on the face but on the back and other parts of the body as well. Acne can cause shame, embarrassment, self-consciousness and it can seriously impact confidence – which closes doors for opportunities.
Luckily, there are a variety of ways acne can be treated and managed, even in severe cases. Panteha Partovi treats active acne and acne scars with a multi-modality approach combining lasers, microneedling, PRP and not to mention one of the most important factors in maintaining clear skin – proper skincare at home and healthy eating habits. She is passionate about helping people look and feel great in their own skin.
What Is Acne?
Acne is an extremely common skin condition ranging from mild to severe. It can present in a variety of forms, such as blackheads, whiteheads, pustules, nodules, and cysts. Conditions like cystic acne are among the most severe, often being painful with a high risk of long-term scarring.
Acne is caused when hair follicles on the skin get blocked due to the attachment of sebaceous glands from producing too much sebum. Bacteria that live on the skin then infect these follicles, causing the types of acne we see on our faces and bodies.
Treatments for Active Acne
Active acne is the term for a current breakout of acne on the face or body, where pustules or cysts are clearly visible. Treatments available for active acne include:
- Laser resurfacing promotes speedy cell turnover, to get rid of old pigmented cells and allows for new dermal cells and the production of collagen.
- Light therapies use waves of light to target uneven skin tone caused by poorly healed acne.
- Microneedling (with and without PRP – platelet-rich plasma) re-texturizes skin to minimize the appearance of scars and minimizes breakouts of active acne by promoting the healing cascade of the body.
- Injectables can be used for particularly severe acne scarring to reduce their appearance by
- Medications such as Retin A, short term antibiotics, and natural remedies are available in pill or cream form to treat active acne. Tretinoin creams such as Retin A affect the growth of skin cells, promoting consistent skin to occur (re-epithelialization). It also helps prevent wrinkles! Antibiotics target the bacteria that cause acne. At your consultation, Panteha will determine which, if any, medication is right for you.
- A combination of treatments can be the most effective way to combat acne from all angles – preventing that ideal environment for the production of comedones and pustules caused by bacteria and other factors.
Treatments for Acne Scars
Acne scars are caused by the improper healing of acne and can have a variety of appearances.
- Microneedling involves the use of nanoneedles which penetrate the skin at a rapid pulse rate to encourage the initiation of the body’s natural healing cascade which promotes cell turnover and collagen production. This helps the skin heal and ultimately reduces an ideal environment for acne to flourish and maintain its form.
- Skin resurfacing reduces the appearance of scars by pushing old cells out to reveal newer, healthier layers of skin that have not been damaged by acne.
- Light and laser treatments reduce the pigmentation and redness left by acne scars.
- Injectables such as dilute hyaluronic fillers can saturate the depressions caused by acne scars, and enhance the appearance of the uneven skin and texture.
Note – if you are taking any kind of isotretinoin medication for your acne, you may not be able to undertake some laser or skin resurfacing procedures or may need to discontinue usage 1 week before and after your treatment.
How Panteha Helps
At your consultation, Panteha will undertake a thorough assessment of your skin, and using her knowledge of your medical history and lifestyle, plus her experience in acne treatment will determine which treatments will be best for you, and how many to help you achieve your dream skin.
Panteha is a certified Physician Assistant and leading aesthetic expert in Los Angeles, providing a safe and non-judgemental space for a diverse range of clients in her clinic. Contact Santosha Aesthetics today for a consultation.